The Division of Hematology, Oncology & Bone Marrow Transplant provides state-of-the-art integrated therapies, including stem cell transplant, aimed at curing malignancies and treating hematological disorders in children.
Research interests include ways to recognize and destroy cancer cells using immunologic and molecular biologic pathways, cancer survivorship, neuro-oncology and palliative care.
- Christian Capitini, MD, was selected as a UW SMPH Centennial Scholar. The award provides approximately $70,000 per year for three years to support scholarly activity among highly qualified junior faculty, especially those from underrepresented minority backgrounds. Dr. Capitini also received a $48,942 award from the UW Carbone Cancer Center to pursue pilot studies of "Monitoring of 19F-labeled NK cell trafficking for cancer immunotherapy using MRI.”
- Mallery Olsen, a medical student in the lab of Christian Capitini, MD, was awarded a $6,000 Pediatric Oncology Student Training (POST) award from Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation for her project, “Tracking of 19F-labeled NK cells by MRI.”
- Kenneth DeSantes, MD, received a $136,000 award from the Solving Kids’ Cancer Foundation for his collaborative project, “Phase I Trial of Ex-Vivo Expanded Haploidentical NK Cells and Hu14.18-IL2 for Children with Relapsed/Refractory Neuroblastoma.” He also received funding for and is working on an NCI-sponsored PACT translational grant to develop methodology for the activation and expansion of allogeneic NK cells.
- Kenneth DeSantes, MD; Carol Diamond, MD; Diane Puccetti, MD; and Paul Sondel, MD, PhD, were named “Top Doctors” by Madison Magazine.
- Margo Hoover-Regan, MD, was among the first recipients of the UW Health Patient Experience Physician Champion Award, which recognizes physicians who have achieved exemplary communication skills in the 2011 Avatar patient satisfaction survey.
- Mario Otto, MD, PhD, received a 2-year, $100,000 award from Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation for his project, “Development of An Innovative Treatment Strategy for Neuroblastoma and Other Pediatric Tumors: A Novel Phospholipid Ether Analogue and its Multifunctional Cancer-targeting Nanoconstruct.”
- Paul Sondel, MD, PhD, received a 3-year, $1,017,750 award from the National Cancer Institute for his project: “The Role of KIR and FcR Genotype in the Efficacy of mAb and IL2 Immunotherapy”.
Professor and Division Chief
Associate Professor (CHS)
Associate Professor (CHS)
Assistant Professor (CHS)
Assistant Professor (CHS)
Associate Professor (CHS)
Albertini MR, Hank JA, Gadbaw B, Kostlevy J, Haldeman J, Schalch H, Gan J, Kim K, Eickhoff J, Gillies SD, Sondel PM. Phase II trial of hu14.18-IL2 for patients with metastatic melanoma. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2012 Dec;61(12):2261-71. PMID: 22678096.
Alderson KL, Luangrath M, Elsenheimer MM, Gillies SD, Navid F, Rakhmilevich AL, Sondel PM. Enhancement of the anti-melanoma response of Hu14.18K322A by αCD40 + CpG. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2012 Nov 15. PMID: 23151945.
Brinkman AS, Maxfield B, Gill K, Patel NJ, Gosain A. A novel t(3;8)(p13;q21.1) translocation in a case of lipoblastoma. Pediatr Surg Int. 2012 Jul;28(7):737-40. PMID: 22488564.
Capitini CM, Nasholm NM, Duncan BB, Guimond M, Fry TJ. Graft-versus-host disease impairs vaccine responses through decreased CD4+ and CD8+ T cell proliferation and increased perforin-mediated CD8+ T cell apoptosis. J Immunol. 2012 Dec 28. PMID: 23275602.
Koehn TA, Trimble LL, Alderson KL, Erbe AK, McDowell KA, Grzywacz B, Hank JA, Sondel PM. Increasing the clinical efficacy of NK and antibody-mediated cancer immunotherapy: potential predictors of successful clinical outcome based on observations in high-risk neuroblastoma. Front Pharmacol. 2012;3:91. PMID: 22623917.
Litzelman K, Barker E, Catrine K, Puccetti D, Possin P, Witt WP. Socioeconomic disparities in the quality of life in children with cancer or brain tumors: the mediating role of family factors. Psychooncology. 2012 May 30. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22645071.
Nettenstrom L, Alderson K, Raschke EE, Evans MD, Sondel PM, Olek S, Seroogy CM. An optimized multi-parameter flow cytometry protocol for human T regulatory cell analysis on fresh and viably frozen cells, correlation with epigenetic analysis, and comparison of cord and adult blood. J Immunol Methods. 2013 Jan 31;387(1-2):81-8. Epub 2012 Oct 9. PMID: 23058673.
Otto M, Shulkin BL, Kundu M, Sandlund JT, Snyder SE, Metzger ML. Histiocyte-rich xanthomatous pseudotumor mimicking relapse on positron emission tomography imaging in an adolescent with primary mediastinal diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2012 Apr;34(3):232-5. PMID: 22082744.
Rakhmilevich AL, Alderson KL, Sondel PM. T-cell-independent antitumor effects of CD40 ligation. Int Rev Immunol. 2012 Aug;31(4):267-78. PMID: 22804571.
Rakhmilevich AL, Baldeshwiler MJ, Van De Voort TJ, Felder MA, Yang RK, Kalogriopoulos NA, Koslov DS, Van Rooijen N, Sondel PM. Tumor-associated myeloid cells can be activated in vitro and in vivo to mediate antitumor effects. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2012 Oct;61(10):1683-97. PMID: 22392192.
Sondel PM, Gillies SD. Current and potential uses of immunocytokines as cancer immunotherapy. Antibodies. 2012;1:149-171.
Yang RK, Kalogriopoulos NA, Rakhmilevich AL, Ranheim EA, Seo S, Kim K, Alderson KL, Gan J, Reisfeld RA, Gillies SD, Hank JA, Sondel PM. Intratumoral hu14.18-IL-2 (IC) induces local and systemic antitumor effects that involve both activated T and NK cells as well as enhanced IC retention. J Immunol. 2012 Sep 1;189(5):2656-64. PMID: 22844125.
Our faculty were principal investigators on the following grants during calendar year 2012.
|Principal Investigator||Funding Agency||Title|
American Cancer Society
DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health
|Monitoring of 19F-Labeled NK Cell Trafficking for Cancer Immunotherapy Using MRI|
|Capitini, Christian||Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation||Mallery Olsen – Pediatric Oncology Student Training Award|
|Capitini, Christian||Hyundai Motor America||Development of STAT1 Inhibitors for Treating Pediatric Leukemia and Modulation of Allogeneic Bone Marrow Transplant|
|Capitini, Christian||Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer||Inhibiting STAT1 as a Platform for GVHD Resistance and Preservation of GVL|
|Desantes, Kenneth||Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer||Research Data Management|
|Desantes, Kenneth||Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer||Reduced Intensity Haploidentical Transplantation with NK Cell Infusions for Pediatric Acute Leukemia and High Risk Solid Tumors|
|Desantes, Kenneth||Pfizer, Inc.||Multi-Center Study to Investigate the Safety and Tolerability of Voriconazole As Primary Therapy for Treatment of Invasive Aspergillosis and Molds Such as Scedosporium or Fusarium Species In Pediatric Patients|
|Desantes, Kenneth||Children's Hospital of Philadelphia||COG - AALL1122|
|Desantes, Kenneth||Children's Hospital of Philadelphia||COG Chairs Grant|
|Desantes, Kenneth||Children's Hospital of Philadelphia||Per Case & Specimen Reimbursement|
|Desantes, Kenneth||St. Baldrick's Foundation||COG - Supplemental Per Case & Specimen Reimbursement|
|Desantes, Kenneth||Solving Kids Cancer||HLA-Mismatched Allogeneic NK Cell Pilot Study|
|Desantes, Kenneth||Solving Kids Cancer||Phase I Trial of Ex Vivo Expanded Haploidentical NK cells and Hu14.18-IL2 for Children with Relapsed/Refractory neuroblastoma|
|Otto, Mario||Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer||Development of Multifunctional Superparamagnetic Anti-GD2 Nanoparticles for Simultaneous Molecular Imaging, Cancer Cell Targeting and Drug Delivery|
|Otto, Mario||Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation||Development of an Innovative Treatment Strategy for Neuroblastoma and Other Pediatric Tumors: A Novel Phospholipid Ether Analogue and Its Multifunctional Cancer-Targeting Nanoconstruct|
|Puccetti, Diane||OSI Pharmaceuticals, Inc.||Open-label, Phase 2 Study of Single-agent Erlotinib for Patients with Pediatric Ependymoma Previously Treated with Oral Etoposide in Protocol OSI-774-205|
|Puccetti, Diane||OSI Pharmaceuticals, Inc.||A Randomized, Phase 2 Study of Single-agent Erlotinib Versus Oral Etoposide in Patients with Recurrent or Refractory Pediatric Ependymoma|
|Puccetti, Diane||Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer||Psychosocial Aspects of Ending Treatment & Long-Term Survival of Pediatric Cancer Patients: A Joint Proposal|
|Sondel, Paul||St. Jude Medical||A Phase I Trial of the Humanized Anti-GD2 Antibody (HU14.18K322A) in Children and Adolescents with Neuroblastoma or Melanoma|
|Sondel, Paul||American Society of Hematology||The Influence of KIR and HLA Genotype on the Clinical Response to Immunotherapy With Rituximab for Patients with Follicular Lymphoma|
|Sondel, Paul||Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia||COG Immunotherapy Resource Lab|
|Sondel, Paul||Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer||Autologous KIR/ KIR-ligand mismatch, FcγR polymorphisms and their influences on response to tumor-targeted immunocytokine|
|Sondel, Paul||UWF - University of Wisconsin Foundation||KIR/KIR-Ligand Genotyping for Lymphoma Immunotherapy: Cancer Center Pilot Grant|
|Sondel, Paul||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||Antitumor Mechanisms of Anti-CD40/CpG-Activated Macrophages|
|Sondel, Paul||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||The Role of KIR and FcR Genotype in the Efficacy of mAb and IL2 Immunotherapy|
|Sondel, Paul||St. Jude Medical||A Safety/Feasibility Trial of the Addition of the Humanized Anti-GD2 Antibody (Hu14.18K322A) With and Without Natural Killer Cells to Chemotherapy in Children and Adolescents with Recurrent/Refractory Neuroblastoma|
|Sondel, Paul||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||Clinical Development of HU 14.18-IL2 Targeted Therapy|
|Sondel, Paul||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||NCI-Clinical Immunotherapy Trials Network|