Congratulations to the Department of Pediatrics faculty who received honors for their academic and clinical accomplishments in 2018.
National and State Honors
- David B. Allen, MD, was awarded the 2018 American Academy of Pediatrics/Pediatric Endocrine Society Kaplowitz Endowed Lectureship for Quality Care, and the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia/University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine’s Thomas Moshang Jr., MD, Memorial Lectureship.
- Vivek Balasubramaniam, MD, received a Hartwell Individual Biomedical Research Award from the Hartwell Foundation.
- Sharon Bartosh, MD, was re-elected to the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN)/United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) board of directors as the medical/scientific organization representative for the American Society of Transplantation. Dr. Bartosh was also named an editor-in-chief of Pediatric Transplantation.
- Ryan Coller, MD, MPH, was a co-editor of Pediatrics (Board review series)
- Ellen Connor, MD, became president of the North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (NASPAG).
- Jonathan Fliegel, MD, served as lead editor for on-line publication of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) PREP Hospital Medicine (PREP HM), the AAP’s continuing medical education resource for self-study and preparation for the American Board of Pediatrics Pediatric Hospital Medicine certification examination.
- John Frohna, MD, MPH, was elected as a new member of the Association of Pediatric Program Directors board of directors.
- Mala Mathur, MD, MPH, became the assistant chair of the policy subcommittee for the American Academy of Pediatrics’ Council on Community Pediatrics.
- Megan Moreno, MD, MSEd, MPH, was named an associate editor of JAMA Pediatrics.
- Dipesh Navsaria, MPH, MSLIS, MD, received a Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters 2018 Academy Fellows Award.
- Daniel Sklansky, MD, was elected as the associate program director representative for the Midwest region of the Association of Pediatric Program Directors.
- Nicole St Clair, MD, was re-elected to the Section on International Child Health of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Robert Steiner, MD, FAAP, FACMG, became editor-in-chief of Genetics in Medicine.
- Sarah Webber, MD, was chosen as one of three AAP participants in the Women’s Wellness through Equity and Leadership project.
Institutional and Departmental Honors
- Ann Allen, MD, received the University of Wisconsin Department of Pediatrics’ 2018 Lobeck Award for Outstanding Teaching in Pediatrics (Clerkship).
- Brittany Allen, MD, received the UW Department of Pediatrics’ 2018 Outstanding General Pediatrician (Residency) Award.
- Christian Capitini, MD, was named the 2018 winner of the UW Department of Pediatrics Gerard B. Odell Research Award.
- Melissa Cercone, MD, received a 2018 UW Health Clinical Educator Excellence Award
- Ryan Coller, MD, MPH, received a 2018 UW Health Rising Star Clinical Excellence Award.
- Mary Ehlenbach, MD, was selected as the inaugural recipient of the Paster Family Foundation Innovation Award for her work to design and implement the Pediatric Complex Care Program at American Family Children’ Hospital.
- Jonathan Fliegel, MD, received the UW Department of Pediatrics’ 2018 Todd Varness Outstanding Clinical Teacher (Residency).
- John Frohna, MD, MPH, was elected Chair of the UW Health Council of Faculty.
- Bikash Pattnaik, PhD, was appointed to a one-year term on the UW-Madison Dean of Students Advisory Committee.
- Ellen Wald, MD, received an alumni achievement award from the State University of New York (SUNY) Downstate Medical Center Alumni Association.
- Michael Wilhelm, MD, received a 2018 UW Health Clinical Practice Excellence Award.
- Jasmine Zapata, MD, MPH, was selected as a University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health Centennial Scholar.