- The department had a 12% increase in resident applicants in 2011 (for residents starting in academic year 2012-2013).
- Pediatric residents began participating in clinical skill training sessions at the new UW Health Clinical Simulation Center. The department also joined Patient Outcomes in Simulation Education (POISE), a multi-institutional network that is evaluating how simulation learning improves procedural competence and patient outcomes.
- Residents in the department’s new pediatric global health track—under the mentorship of director Sabrina Wagner, MD—received a $3,000 American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Community Access to Child Health (CATCH) grant to improve health literacy and preventive care among Madison’s Bhutanese refugee population.
- Our innovative educational initiative, Pediatric Education and Active Resident Learning (PEARL) Conferences, entered its second year with continued positive feedback from both residents and faculty. These interactive, case-based conferences teach residents general pediatric approaches to a clinical problem in an engaging manner.
- A presentation by resident Daniel Beissel, MD—“Pulse Oximetry Screening for Congenital Heart Disease in Wisconsin”—was selected by the American Academy of Pediatrics for the media relations program at the 2011 American Academy of Pediatrics National Convention and Exhibition.
- Resident Cathy Lee-Miller, MD, received the Pediatrics Resident Teaching Award from the UW School of Medicine and Public Health class of 2011.
More than 75% of residents entering in academic year 2010-2011 came from medical schools outside Wisconsin, a trend that’s been consistent over four of the past five years.
In addition, nearly two-thirds of residents graduating in academic year 2010-2011 entered academic practice, a clear demonstration of our program’s excellence in education and research.
Incoming Residents (PL1s)
|Kelly Bush, MD||New York Medical College; Valhalla, NY|
|Matthew Egberg, MD||Drexel University College of Medicine; Philadelphia, PA|
|Jonathan Gehlbach, MD||University of Illinois College of Medicine; Chicago, IL|
|Matthew Harer, MD||UW School of Medicine and Public Health; Madison, WI|
|Desire Hurst, MD||Loma Linda University School of Medicine; Loma Linda, CA|
|Jennifer Jones, MD||University of Texas Health Science Center School of Medicine; San Antonio, TX|
|Jessica Miesfeld, MD||University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine; Iowa City, IA|
|Allison Pollock, MD||University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry; Rochester, NY|
|Leslie Riopel, MD||New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY|
|Matthew Szadkowski, MD||UW School of Medicine and Public Health; Madison, WI|
|Aaron Van Ningen, MD||University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences; Bismarck, ND|
|Andrea Vigil, MD||University of Toledo College of Medicine; Toledo, OH|
|Natalie White, DO||Des Moines University; Des Moines, IA|
|Katie Williams, MD||UW School of Medicine and Public Health; Madison, WI|
Second-Year Residents (PL2s)
|Daniel Beissel, MD||University of Illinois; Chicago, IL|
|Abbie Byrom, MD||East Tennessee State University; Johnson City, TN|
|Kimberly Hornbeck, MD||Albany Medical College; Albany, NY|
|Anju Idiculla, MD||University of Kansas; Kansas City, KS|
|Cathy Lee, MD||University of Rochester; Rochester, NY|
|Ravi Meibalane, MD||Indiana University; Indianapolis, IN|
|Megan Morley-Peters, MD||Rush Medical College; Chicago, IL|
|Kirstin Nackers, MD||UW School of Medicine and Public Health; Madison, WI|
|Judith Nir, MD||Sackler School of Medicine; Tel Aviv, Israel|
|Amy O’Brian, MD||State University of New York Upstate Medical University; Syracuse, NY|
|Hillary Petska, MD||UW School of Medicine and Public Health; Madison, WI|
|Stacy Strouse, MD||University of Vermont; Burlington, VT|
|Erin Turner, MD||UW School of Medicine and Public Health; Madison, WI|
Graduating Residents (PL3s)
|Katherine Baker, MD||Chief resident, University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI|
|Rachel Ershler, MD||Hematology/oncology fellowship, Johns Hopkins University; Baltimore, MD|
|Ruchi Gupta, MD||Private practice; San Francisco, CA|
|Benjamin Hanisch, MD||Infectious disease fellowship, University of Minnesota; Minneapolis, MN|
|Jennifer Hartwell, MD||Private practice; Columbus, IN|
|Emily Kolpa, MD||Private practice; Northborough, MA|
|Kerri LeBlanc, MD||Hospitalist practice; Chicago, IL|
|Megan Lederer, MD||Chief resident, University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI|
|Jennifer Mosher, MD||Critical care fellowship; University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI|
|Sarah Rastogi, MD||Academic practice; Madison, WI|
|Valentina Shakhnovich, MD||Gastroenterology fellowship, University of Missouri; Kansas City, MO|
|Julie West, MD||Neonatology fellowship, Loma Linda University; Loma Linda, CA|
|Adam Wolfe, MD||Hematology, oncology, & bone marrow transplant fellowship, University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI|
In academic year 2010-2011, we had 10 fellows in seven programs.
- Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes fellows received several awards in 2011. Jennifer Rehm, MD, received the Society for Pediatric Research’s 2011 Fellow Clinical Research Award, and a $50,000 Research Fellowship Award from the Pediatric Endocrine Society. Peter Wolfgram, MD, received a $15,000 Marilyn Fishman Grant for Diabetes Research from the Endocrine Fellows Foundation, and a two-year, $100,000 fellowship award from the Genentech Center for Clinical Research in Endocrinology. Drs. Rehm and Wolfgram, along with Vanessa Curtis, MD, also each received the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society's (LWPES) Travel Award to support their travel costs to the PES Annual Meeting.
- The Division of Infectious Diseases successfully completed an application to establish a new fellowship program. It will begin recruiting in 2012.
|Alex Thomas, MD||Allergy, Immunology & Rheumatology||University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI|
|Peter Wolfgram, MD||Endocrinology & Diabetes||University of Michigan; Ann Arbor, MI|
|Margaret Boyden, MD||Hematology & Oncology||University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center; Dallas, TX|
|Kelly Cowan, MD||Pulmonology & Cystic Fibrosis||University of Vermont, Burlington, VT|
|Alliya Mohamed, MD
(left program early)
|Pulmonology & Cystic Fibrosis|
|Adesua Okupa, MD||Allergy, Immunology & Rheumatology||University of Louisville; Louisville, KY|
|Jennifer Rehm, MD||Endocrinology & Diabetes||University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI|
|Andrea Dvorak, MD||Hematology & Oncology||Geisinger Medical Center; Danville, PA|
|Kristi Boelke, MD||Neonatology & Perinatal Medicine||University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI|
Third-Year (Graduating) Fellows
|Fellow||Subspecialty||Prior Residency||Postgraduate Plans|
|Benson Hsu, MD||Critical Care||University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI||Pediatric Intensivist, Sanford Children’s Hospital; Sioux Falls, SD|
|Vanessa Curtis, MD||Endocrinology & Diabetes||University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI||Assistant Professor, University of Iowa Department of Pediatrics; Iowa City, IA|
|Jessica Scott-Schwoerer, MD||Genetics & Metabolism||University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI||Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin Department of Pediatrics, Division of Genetics & Metabolism; Madison, WI|
National Research Service Award (NRSA) Fellow
Former resident Matt Karwowski, MD, was a National Research Service Award (NRSA) fellow in academic year 2010-2011. This fellowship supports individuals who have the potential to become productive, independent investigators in scientific health-related research fields. Dr. Karwowski’s areas of interest is pediatric environmental health.
Continuing Medical Education
Pediatric hospitalist Michele Kelly, MD, re-launched Pediatric Pathways, a quarterly publication that offers evidence-based articles and CME credit.