The Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes provides state-of-the-art medical care through four multidisciplinary clinics: diabetes, endocrinology, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and pediatric fitness.
Our research aims to improve the health and quality of life of children with diabetes and endocrine disorders and to prevent childhood obesity and its consequences.
- David Allen, MD, began his term as president of the Pediatric Endocrine Society.
- Tracy Bekx, MD, was first author of “Characteristics of Adolescents Presenting to a Multidisciplinary Clinic for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome,” published in the Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology.
- Aaron Carrel, MD, and David Allen, MD, were awarded a two-year, $291,882 grant from the Wisconsin Partnership Program’s Medical Education and Research Committee to study barriers to physical activity and good nutrition among Latino students in South Milwaukee.
- Ellen Connor, MD, presented an invited seminar, “Endocrine Disruptors and the Female Patient,” at the North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology.
- Fellow Vanessa Curtis, MD, was chosen to attend the Endocrine Aspects of Metabolism and Diabetes fellowship at the NIH. She also presented results from her research project at the 2010 Pediatric Academic Society Meeting in Vancouver, BC.
- Michael MacDonald, MD, successfully renewed his NIH/NIDDK grant on glucose/secretagogue metabolism in pancreatic islets.
- Fellow Jennifer Rehm, MD, and research mentor Ellen Connor, MD, received funding from the Endocrine Fellows Foundation and the Genentech Center for Research and Education for research on inflammatory markers and hepatic triglyceride content in adolescents with polycystic ovarian syndrome.
- Todd Varness, MD, received the UW Alumni Association’s Clinical Science Teaching Award for dedicated commitment to teaching excellence.
Professor and Division Chief
Clinical Professor Emeritus
Allen DB. Growth hormone post-marketing surveillance: safety, sales, and the unfinished task ahead. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Jan;95(1):52-5.
Bekx MT, Connor EC, Allen DB. Characteristics of adolescents presenting to a multidisciplinary clinic for polycystic ovarian syndrome. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2010 Feb;23(1):7-10.
Carrel AL, Myers SE, Whitman BY, Eickhoff J, Allen DB. Long-term growth hormone therapy changes the natural history of body composition and motor function in children with prader-willi syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Mar;95(3):1131-6.
Hollman GA, Allen DB, Eickhoff JC, Carrel AL. Respiratory depression in young Prader Willi Syndrome patients following clonidine provocation for growth hormone secretion testing. Int J Pediatr Endocrinol. 2010;2010:103742.
Racine NM, Watras AC, Carrel AL, Allen DB, McVean JJ, Clark RR, O'Brien AR, O'Shea M, Scott CE, Schoeller DA. Effect of conjugated linoleic acid on body fat accretion in overweight or obese children. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 May;91(5):1157-64.
Wilfond BS, Miller PS, Korfiatis C, Diekema DS, Dudzinski DM, Goering S, Allen DB, Fost N, et al; Seattle Growth Attenuation and Ethics Working Group. Navigating growth attenuation in children with profound disabilities. Children's interests, family decision-making, and community concerns. Hastings Cent Rep. 2010 Nov-Dec;40(6):27-40.
Hasan NM, Kendrick MA, Druckenbrod NR, Huelsmeyer MK, Warner TF, MacDonald MJ. Genetic association of the neuropilin-1 gene with type 1 diabetes in children: Neuropilin-1 expression in pancreatic islets. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2010 Mar;87(3):e29-32.
Hasan NM, Longacre MJ, Seed Ahmed M, Kendrick MA, Gu H, Ostenson CG, Fukao T, MacDonald MJ. Lower succinyl-CoA:3-ketoacid-CoA transferase (SCOT) and ATP citrate lyase in pancreatic islets of a rat model of type 2 diabetes: knockdown of SCOT inhibits insulin release in rat insulinoma cells. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2010 Jul;499(1-2):62-8.
Jitrapakdee S, Wutthisathapornchai A, Wallace JC, MacDonald MJ. Regulation of insulin secretion: role of mitochondrial signalling. Diabetologia. 2010 Jun;53(6):1019-32.
Kurian JR, Keen KL, Terasawa E. Epigenetic changes coincide with in vitro primate GnRH neuronal maturation. Endocrinology. 2010 Nov;151(11):5359-68.
Terasawa E, Kurian JR, Guerriero KA, Kenealy BP, Hutz ED, Keen KL. Recent discoveries on the control of gonadotrophin-releasing hormone neurones in nonhuman primates. J Neuroendocrinol. 2010 Jul;22(7):630-8.
|Principal Investigator||Funding Agency||Title|
|Allen, David||Covance, Inc.||002-120 (Norditropin): The Norditropin National Registry Program|
|Allen, David||Genentech, Inc.||85-036 Genentech National Cooperative Growth Study (NCGS) Post Marketing Surveillance Program for Protropin (Somatrem for Injection) and Nutropin (Somatropin (RDNA origin) for Injection|
|Allen, David||Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society||LWPES Travel Grant - V. Curtis|
|Allen, David||Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society||LWPES Travel Grant - J. Rehm|
|Allen, David||Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society||LWPES Travel Grant - L. Nicol|
|Allen, David||Group Health Cooperative HMO||Pediatric Endocrine Division Fitness Research Support|
|Allen, David||Pfizer, Inc.||Pediatric Endocrine Fellowship Support|
|Allen, David||Lilly (Eli) and Company||Pediatric Endocrine Fellowship Research Training Support|
|Bekx, M. Tracy||Lilly (Eli) and Company||The Genetics Neuroendocrinology of Short Stature International Study|
|Carrel, Aaron||Genentech, Inc.||Ethnic & Gender Differences in Fitness Effects on Adipokines|
|Carrel, Aaron||YMCA of Dane County||PEP Program - KidzFit|
|Carrel, Aaron||UWF - Wisconsin Partnership - MERC||Effects of Environmental Opportunities and Barriers to Physical Activity, Fitness, and Health in Hispanic Children in Wisconsin|
|Endocrine Fellows Foundation||Prevalence of Hepatic Steatosis in Adolescents with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome|
|Genentech, Inc.||Hepatic Steatosis in Adolescents with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome|
|Curtis, Vanessa||Genentech, Inc.||Ethnic & Gender Differences in Fitness Effects on Adipokines|
|MacDonald, Michael||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||Childhood Diabetes Clinical & Molecular Research Training Program|
|MacDonald, Michael||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||Glucose/Secretagogue Metabolism in Pancreatic Islets|
|Terasawa-Grilley, Ei||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||Hypothalamic Control of Gonadotropin Secretion|
|Terasawa-Grilley, Ei||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||Hypothalamic Control of Puberty|
|Terasawa-Grilley, Ei||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||Minority Supplement McNealey|