The objective of the Pediatric Infectious Diseases fellowship at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health is to educate, guide and develop physicians who are interested in the care of children with complex infectious diseases. Pediatric Infectious Diseases fellows receive training in the care of patients, gain experience in research, and develop skills required for teaching and leadership in their profession.
Our fellowship program is a three-year program approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). We will be accepting applications in August 2014 for training beginning in July 2015.
The Pediatric Infectious Diseases faculty have affiliations with the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society, the Wisconsin HIV Primary Care Support Network, the Midwest AIDS Training and Education Center (MATEC), WiscNet, and Mycosis Study Group.
This program was established to prepare highly qualified individuals for leadership roles in the clinical, educational, and research missions of the subspecialty of pediatric infectious diseases. It is designed to train the fellow to provide optimal care and consultation to pediatric patients with unusual or complicated infectious diseases, and to foster critical thought in advancing the field through research and educational endeavors. To achieve this, the program provides balanced, well-organized and progressive clinical, technical, teaching, research, and consultative experiences. The educational program also encompasses basic concepts in immunology, epidemiology, public health, clinical pharmacology, microbiology and infection control as they relate to patient care and training in the prevention of infectious diseases.
The fellow will have the opportunity to interact with staff from the following programs:
- UW Institute for Clinical & Translational Research
- Medical Microbiology & Immunology
- UW Global Health Institute
- MPH program
- UW Health GME
- The Society for Adolescent Medicine
- Infectious Disease Society of America
- HIV Medicine Association
- American Public Health Association
- Fellow- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Member- Pediatric Infectious Disease Society
- American Society of Microbiology
- American Association for Advancement of Science
- American Pediatrics Society
- Midwest Society for Pediatric Research
- Society for Pediatric Research