Division Highlights - Endocrinology & Diabetes
The Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes provides state-of-the-art medical care through four multidisciplinary clinics: diabetes, endocrinology, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and pediatric fitness.
Our research aims to improve the health and quality of life of children with diabetes and endocrine disorders, to understand the development and health effects of adipose tissue from infancy through adolescence, and to prevent childhood obesity and its consequences.
- The UW Health Pediatric Fitness Clinic was featured in an episode of the HBO documentary, The Weight of the Nation for Kids”.
- David Allen, MD, was the lead author on “Short Stature in Childhood: Challenges and Choices,” an invited New England Journal of Medicine State-of-the-Art Clinical Review.
- Tracy Bekx, MD, was appointed director of pediatrics diabetes clinical services at the American Family Children’s Hospital (AFCH), and coauthored a strategic plan for diabetes care for AFCH.
- Aaron Carrel, MD, and collaborators were awarded two new Wisconsin Partnership Program Community-Academic Partnership Grants: “Growing Farm To School: Cultivating Childhood Wellness through Gardening (GF2S)” and “Active Healthy Schools.”
- Ellen Connor, MD, was in the top five percent of UW Health providers for 2012 Avatar patient satisfaction survey results.
- Jennifer Rehm, MD, was appointed to the Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women’s Health (BIRCWH) Scholars Program, funded by the National Institutes of Health–Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NIH-NICHD). The program provides her with 75% protected research time and a research budget of over $15,000 per year for two to five years.
Dr. Rehm also received funding for her project, “Early intervention and prevention of pediatric non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” from the Thrasher Research Fund's Early Career Award Program.
- Endocrinology fellow Peter Wolfgram, MD, received the Society for Pediatric Research’s 2013 “Fellows’ Section Clinical Research Award” for his abstract, “Non-Obese Girls Exhibit Differing Metabolic Effects of Ectopic Fat Based on Race and Ethnicity.”
Professor and Division Chief
Assistant Professor (CHS)
Associate Professor (CHS)
Allen DB, Cuttler L. Clinical practice. Short stature in childhood--challenges and choices. N Engl J Med. 2013 Mar 28;368(13):1220-8. Review. PMID: 23534561.
Borkenhagen JF, Connor EL, Stafstrom CE. Neonatal hypocalcemic seizures due to excessive maternal calcium ingestion. Pediatr Neurol. 2013 Jun;48(6):469-71. PMID: 23668874.
Deal CL, Tony M, Höybye C, Allen DB, Tauber M, Christiansen JS; 2011 Growth Hormone in Prader-Willi Syndrome Clinical Care Guidelines Workshop Participants. GrowthHormone Research Society workshop summary: consensus guidelines for recombinant human growth hormone therapy in Prader-Willi syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Jun;98(6):E1072-87. Epub 2013 Mar 29. Review. PMID: 23543664.
Kenealy BP, Kapoor A, Guerriero KA, Keen KL, Garcia JP, Kurian JR, Ziegler TE, Terasawa E. Neuroestradiol in the hypothalamus contributes to the regulation of gonadotropin releasing hormone release. J Neurosci. 2013 Dec 4;33(49):19051-9. PMID: 24305803.
Kurian JR, Terasawa E. Epigenetic control of gonadotropin releasing hormone neurons. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2013 May 27;4:61. eCollection 2013. PMID: 23750154.
MacDonald MJ, Brown LJ, Longacre MJ, Stoker SW, Kendrick MA. Knockdown of both mitochondrial isocitrate dehydrogenase enzymes in pancreatic beta cells inhibits insulin secretion. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013 Nov;1830(11):5104-11. Epub 2013 Jul 20. PMID: 23876293.
MacDonald MJ, Hasan NM, Dobrzyn A, Stoker SW, Ntambi JM, Liu X, Sampath H. Knockdown of pyruvate carboxylase or fatty acid synthase lowers numerous lipids and glucose-stimulated insulin release in insulinoma cells. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2013 Apr 1;532(1):23-31. Epub 2013 Jan 25. PMID: 23357280.
MacDonald MJ, Langberg EC, Tibell A, Sabat G, Kendrick MA, Szweda LI, Ostenson CG. Identification of ATP synthase as a lipid peroxide protein adduct in pancreatic islets from humans with and without type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Apr;98(4):E727-31. Epub 2013 Mar 5. PMID: 23463654.
Poonawalla AH, Sjoberg BP, Rehm JL, Hernando D, Hines CD, Irarrazaval P, Reeder SB. Adipose tissue MRI for quantitative measurement of central obesity. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2013 Mar;37(3):707-16. PMID: 23055365.
Terasawa E, Guerriero KA, Plant TM. Kisspeptin and puberty in mammals. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2013;784:253-73. Review. PMID: 23550010.
Thonpho A, Rojvirat P, Jitrapakdee S, MacDonald MJ. Characterization of the distal promoter of the human pyruvate carboxylase gene in pancreatic beta cells. PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e55139. PMID: 23383084.
Wolfgram PM, Carrel AL, Allen DB. Long-term effects of recombinant human growth hormone therapy in children with Prader-Willi syndrome. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2013 Aug;25(4):509-14. PMID: 23782572.
Wolfgram PM, Connor EL, Rehm JL, Eickhoff JC, Reeder SB, Allen DB. Ethnic differences in the effects of hepatic fat deposition on insulin resistance in nonobese middle school girls. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014 Jan;22(1):243-8. Epub 2013 Sep 17. PMID: 23804504.
Wolfgram PM, Macdonald MJ. Severe hypertriglyceridemia causing acute pancreatitis in a child with new onset type I diabetes mellitus presenting in ketoacidosis. J Pediatr Intensive Care. 2013;2(2):77-80. PMID: 24455446.
Our faculty were principal investigators on the following grants during calendar year 2013.
|Principal Investigator||Funding Agency||Title|
|Abbott, David||Endocrine Fellows Foundation||Fetal Programming of PCOS Pancreatic Phenotype: A Male Perspective (K. Richards)|
|Allen, David||Covance, Inc.||ANSWER Registry|
|Allen, David||Genentech, Inc.||Role of Ethnicity in Fat Distribution and Insulin Resistance (P. Wolfgram)|
|Allen, David||Endocrine Fellows Foundation||The Role of Ethnicity and Race in Site Specific Fat Distribution, Inflammation, and Insulin Resistance in Children (P. Wolfgram)|
|Allen, David||Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society||J. Rehm, PES travel award 5/2013|
|Allen, David||Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society||K. Henrichs, PES travel award 5/2013|
|Allen, David||Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society||P. Wolfgram, PES travel award 5/2013|
|Allen, David||Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society||T. Seibert, PES travel award 5/2013|
|Allen, David||Pfizer, Inc.||Pediatric Endocrine Fellowship|
|Allen, David||Lilly (Eli) And Company||Pediatric Endocrine Fellowship Research Training Support|
|Carrel, Aaron||Genentech, Inc.||A Systematic Initiative to Evaluate the Effect of Adiposity and Fitness on Growth in a Statewide Cohort of Children|
|MacDonald, Michael||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||Childhood Diabetes Clinical & Molecular Research Training Program (CDCMRT)|
|MacDonald, Michael||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||Glucose/Secretagogue Metabolism in Pancreatic Islets|
|Rehm, Jennifer||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||Early Intervention and Prevention of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Adolescents and Young Women (BIRCWH Scholars Program Award)|
|Terasawa-Grilley, Ei||DHHS, PHS, National Institutes of Health||Hypothalamic Control of Puberty|