The University of Wisconsin Children’s Hospital was originally housed in a freestanding 4-story building adjacent to the then University of Wisconsin Hospital. The UW Children’s Hospital and the Department of Pediatrics moved in 1979 into the 1.5 million square foot Clinical Science Center.
American Family Children's Hospital
The state-of-the-art, $78 million American Family Children's Hospital at 1675 Highland Avenue replaced the existing UW Children's Hospital in August 2007.
With inpatient rooms approximately double in size of the old UW Children's Hospital, the 60-bed American Family Children's Hospital provides patients and families from throughout Wisconsin a place to heal in a soothing, child-friendly environment.
A second phase of fundraising enabled the hospital to open a new Pediatric Surgical Pavilion in September 2008. The 37,000 square foot facility includes six operating rooms and two procedure rooms. With a Lake Michigan motif, the pavilion is the latest in operating room design and technology. Fundraising will continue with an additional 24-bed inpatient unit and a pediatric radiology unit planned for the future.
Our world-class team of doctors, nurses and other health care professionals provide everything from preventive health care to highly specialized programs. These include a pediatric intensive care unit, an internationally recognized transplant surgery program, a children's cancer center, a pediatric asthma center and many others.
A warm, family-centered environment is enhanced through special activities such as a Child Life program, a Pet Therapy program, a Hospital School run by the Madison Metropolitan School District, and family lodging at the nearby Ronald McDonald House.
Learn more about each floor in the American Family Children's Hospital Building Tour.